Allergic shiners can make an individual appear as if they have just spent a round or two boxing in the ring with Mike Tyson. The discoloration and swelling is a result of allergic symptoms that cause the congestion of small blood vessels located underneath the skin in these areas. Nasal rhinitis, which is a nasal allergy, has been known to produce a combination of issues that can include shiners, swelling of the throat, watery eyes, headaches, mouth breathing, and more.
You will find that there are several different methods used when learning how to relieve allergies; however, it is best if you can isolate the cause of your allergic symptoms so you can better determine which treatment is best for your particular case.
If your allergies are severe and preventing you from performing your everyday tasks, it is probably best that you pay a visit to an allergen specialist; they will perform a series of blood and scratch tests that can help identify the cause. The doctor or specialist can then make more suitable over-the-counter drug recommendations, administer a shot to relieve the symptoms, and offer other forms of treatment and advice.
A specialist may also administer desensitizing treatments that can help prevent or minimize future allergic reactions. Sub lingual drops placed directly beneath the tongue may also be used to desensitize and are an appropriate alternative for those who do not wish to visit a specialist or a physician on a regular basis. If a monthly visit to a physician is not an issue, you can also consider getting a monthly EPD, or Enzyme Potentiated Desensitization.
Individuals should always take into account the many factors involved when it comes to allergy symptoms. The presence and severity of a variety of allergies can be caused and affected by anything from your home environment, geographic location, pollen counts, pollen sources, and much more. Understanding how these factors affect your specific allergies will help you determine which steps to take in treating them.
Following is a list of tips and suggestions on how to relieve allergies of the most common types:
- The first thing that you’ll want to do for how to relieve allergies is to clean and dust the entire home. Vacuum all of the carpets and drapes using a vacuum cleaner equipped with a HEPA Filter.
- Service and replace all air filters in the home immediately and continue to do so every 30 days. This includes your heating and AC unit as well as the furnace.
- Keep the allergens outside by closing windows and other entrances to the home. Turning the ac unit on will also help circulate the air and filter out excess pollen.
- Determine whether antihistamines or decongestants help better for how to relieve allergies and symptoms. Decongestants should be used to bring immediate relief of symptoms by contracting the small blood vessels located under the skin under the eyes and in the membranes of the nose. On the other hand, Antihistamines are designed to block the harmful effects that histamines cause in the first place.
- For swollen and watery eyes, try a cold press or eye cream that contains caffeine; Cold and caffeine both work to reduce swelling.